Library, Reading and Home School Activities
Learning begins in wonder.
Here are some ways children can explore activities
and enrich learning while schools are not in session.
Library and Reading:
- Novel Effect – Interactive storytelling app which plays music and sound effects as you you read along with the story – for Iphones/Ipads and Androids – (ages pre-K to 5th)
- Access to the San Jose public library hosts multiple apps. All you need is a library card.
- The Santa Clara County Library hosts online resources available for free with only your library card.
- Storyline – Stories to read online (Pre-K to 3rd grade)
- Time for Kids – (interesting articles for young people, grades K-12)
- Dreamscape – Reading game (Reading grades 2-8)
- [NEW] Audible for Kids – stories online for kids of all ages
- Use this link to get ideas for what you and your family can do while inside.
- Chill out by making homemade slushies
- Quarantine with Kids – 100 things to do during COVID-19
- [NEW] Spy Kids – games from the CIA for kids such as Break the Code, Aerial Analysis and Photo Analysis (For kids grades 4 and up)
- Make an informative COVID-19 comic book
- Recipes, simple for kids to make
- Ideas and activities while sheltering in place
SCHOOL AT HOME
- Wide Open School helps make learning from home an experience that inspires kids, supports teachers, relieves families, and restores community.
- Homeschooling Resources
- Nat Geo for Kids – Explore and learn – (All subjects – Pre-K to 8th)
- From learning about why zebras have stripes to math lessons based on K-Pop stars, Scholastic's learning plans cover all the subjects your student would be taking at school.
- 37 free online resources for schools shifting online during – (All subjects – all ages) – resources for teachers, students and parents – includes Tynker, Vidcode, Shmoop, Elementari, Seterra, 25Mash and more!
- PBS Learning Media – (All subjects – grades K-12)
- Scholastic Learn at home – (All subjects – pre-K to grade 6)
- Brain Pop Jr – (All subjects – grades K-3)
- Brain Pop – (All subjects – grades 4-8)
- Khan Academy – online and fun lessons on subjects for kids K-12
- Khan Academy Kids – app for Android or Apple phones/tablets
- ABCYA – educational games that meet Common Core standards (All subjects grades K-6)
- Boom Learning – educational games – free accounts for those impacted by school closure – for students, parents and teachers
- Starfall – educational games (All subjects – pre-K to grade 3)
- [NEW] GrowNextGen – educational Reading, Science and Social Studies games to learn about agriculture for grades 3-5