How to Volunteer
Give your time to 4-H and become a volunteer!
4-H youth are leaders. They pursue their passions. They are critical thinkers and solve problems. YOU are the key to their success!
We need adult volunteers to mentor 4-H youth, lead local 4-H clubs, organize events, or teach fun science activities in after school programs. No experience necessary-we'll train you. You must be at least 18 years old.
For more information about volunteering with 4-H in Santa Clara County, please contact the 4-H secretary at the County 4-H Office.
In 4-H after school clubs, volunteers teach hands-on science activities for one hour, once a week for 10 weeks.
In 4-H clubs, adult volunteers may take on the following positions (download Adobe Acrobat Reader free at http://www.adobe.com to view and print these PDF files):
- Community Leader or Assistant Community Leader
- Project Leader or Assistant Project Leader
- Coordinator or Event Coordinator
In 4-H management, volunteers may serve in a variety of organizational roles..
Steps to become a 4-H Volunteer
In order to provide a safe environment for youth, all prospective 4-H volunteers are required to:
- Complete an Online Adult Enrollment Application which includes a code of conduct and confidential self-disclosure statement;
- Submit to and receive criminal record clearance from the California Department of Justice (DOJ) through Live Scan electronic fingerprinting; and
- Undergo a New Adult Volunteer Certification offered by the Volunteer Certification Coordinator in each 4-H Club or by county 4-H program staff.
Following DOJ clearance, completion of an Adult Volunteer Certification and Training, and payment of a nominal fee, volunteers are appointed for a one year term, renewable annually.