UCCE Area County Director - Kern, Kings and Tulare Counties, Job ID 59815
Date Posted: September 28, 2023
Closing Date: Until Filled
Job Description: Download
The University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) is seeking a UC Cooperative Extension (UCCE) Area County Director to provide leadership in support of applied research and outreach programs across Kern, Kings, and Tulare counties. Our mission is to bring the resources and expertise of UC directly to Californians through research and education programs that support:
- Sustainable, safe, and nutritious food production and delivery
- Economic success in a global economy
- A sustainable, healthy, and productive environment
- Science literacy and youth development
Purpose: The Area County Director is responsible for the coordination and overall operation of UCCE programs in cooperation with county government in Kern, Kings and Tulare Counties.
- Act as a liaison between UCCE and County Departments, Boards of Supervisors and County Administrative Officer
- Serve as a county department head for the University of California Cooperative Extension department in each county.
- Secure adequate county budgets and resources
- Build relationships and synergies to deploy UCCE research to address county needs
- Supervision and or oversight of county employees
- Understand and communicate value of UCCE impact to county partners and others
- Oversight and administration of UCCE educational and applied research programs
- Hire and manage personnel
- Provide direction and leadership to UCCE academic and support staff
- Mentor, manage and evaluate academic personnel
- Supervision of UC ANR employees
- Maintain positive working relationships with partnering public and private agencies
- Expand collaborations and funding sources.
- Comply with University of California and county policies.
The County Director oversees management of the physical plant and human resources. They will increase the visibility of UCCE through community engagement, including but not limited to, needs assessments, representing UC ANR in local and/or regional initiatives, participation in relevant policy development, and communicating the positive impacts and benefits realized by the citizens and workforce of the local counties, region and state from the activities and contributions of local UCCE programs.
UCCE is administered by the University of California, Division of Agriculture Natural Resources. UCCE brings the knowledge of University of California research through its agriculture, natural resources, youth development and nutrition programs to address local questions and to help solve local problems. UCCE academics, staff, and volunteers live and work in the communities they serve, helping identify, respond to, and resolve local challenges. UC ANR connects Californians to UC, leading the way to science-based solutions.
- Education: Advanced degree in public administration, organizational development, business administration or a related area and/or equivalent level of training and experience preferred. Individuals with training and experience in other fields such as agriculture, natural resources, community development, and sociology will also be considered.
- Strong background in program management, administration or similar experience including, but not limited to, business operations, budget and fiscal management, human resources, conflict resolution, multidisciplinary teams, project management, facilities planning, etc.,
- Demonstrated record of skills in leadership, strategic planning, program evaluation and supervisory skills that motivate and develop staff,
- Ability to achieve goals through promoting collaboration and teambuilding,
- Familiarity with impact of research findings,
- Ability to understand impacts and communicate to broader audiences,
- Demonstrated effectiveness collaborating with elected officials, non-governmental organizations, and diverse interest groups,
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, and
- Excellent fiduciary and budgeting skills
Preferred Skills / Experience:
- Master's degree in public administration, organizational development, business administration or a related area and/or equivalent level of training and experience preferred. Individuals with training and experience in other fields such as agriculture, natural resources, community development, and sociology will also be considered.
- Understanding of the UC ANR mission (preferred, but not required, working knowledge of agriculture and/or natural resources, Cooperative Extension, academic programs, etc.),
- Live within a commutable distance of the position headquarters during period of appointment.
- Physically be in each County at least bi-weekly
Location Headquarters: This position will be headquartered in Kern or Tulare County.
This position is a career appointment that is 100% fixed.
Pay Scale: $88,800/year to $135,300/year
Benefits: The University of California offers comprehensive benefits including vacation, sick leave, and approximately thirteen paid holidays per year. For more information, refer to the UC Benefits website at: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
This position will promote, in all ways consistent with the other responsibilities of the position, accomplishment of the Affirmative Action goals established by the Division.
The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check. This is a designated position requiring a background check and may require fingerprinting due to the nature of the job responsibilities. UC ANR does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California Policy on Vaccination Programs, as may be amended or revised from time to time. Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
To apply, please visit:
If you are a current employee of our organization please use the following link instead: