Become a Master Composter
Master Composter Class of 2024 Application Open Now!
The application for the Master Composter class in Spring 2024 is now open. Please complete and submit the online application by October 31. A downloadable form can be found here, but all applications should be submitted through the online form. Please read the information below before applying.
SB 1383 was enacted to reduce landfill disposal of organic waste, which in turn, reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Become a Master Composter volunteer and help your community make the change happen!
Who are Master Composter Volunteers?
Master Composters come from all walks of life.
They share composting best practices that promote healthy gardens, healthy soil, and healthy lives.
They complete a 15- to 17-week course taught by university academics, extension educators and industry leaders.
Upon completing the course, Master Composters contribute their time teaching research-based composting practices in their communities.
Important dates and deadlines
- We offer training every 2 years. The Master Composter Class of 2024 will run from March 16 to June 22, 2024. It will include weekly lectures, field trips, and hands-on workshops.
- Most lectures will be held on Thursday evenings over Zoom. In-person events like workshops and field trips will be held on Saturdays. Please plan to have class every Thursday and some Saturdays. All online and in-person classes are required.
- The interest form can be found below. Completing the interest form guarantees that you will be sent the application when it opens. The application will be open from October 1 to October 31, 2023.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance by early January 2024.
Steps to becoming a UCCE Master Composter
1. Questions? Want a run-down of the course? Watch our information session recording HERE
2. Complete the Application
- Complete the online application here. If you'd like to download a copy to work on the questions before submitting them online, please click here.
- Wait for a UCCE Staff member to contact you regarding your application.
- You will need to complete a live scan background check if you are accepted.
- Once you receive notice that your background check has cleared, you will receive more information about the training course and fees.
2. Complete the Master Composter training course.
- Complete the 48+ hour training course (1 to 2 times a week for 15 to 17 weeks) to become a certified Master Composter
- The course lectures will be held online or in-person (contingent on Santa Clara County COVID-19 guidelines) one evening a week.
- We will also have a few in-person informational demonstration training days and field trips on select weekends
- Taught by University of California Extension educators, faculty and Industry Specialists.
- All students must complete an online final exam for certification. An active email and reliable Internet access is required
3. Share your knowledge.
- During your first year as a volunteer, you will be required to give 50 hours of service on projects and events that deliver basic compost education and information to the local community.
- Attend Continuing Education courses and monthly meetings alongside experienced Master Composter Volunteers.
- Report your volunteer hours online for Reappointment.
When your training is completed, you will receive a certificate and we will celebrate your completion. After your first year and 50 hours of service are completed, you will receive a UC name badge and the Master Composter title and a shirt.
5. Stay involved.
To maintain your active Master Composter volunteer status, you will need to complete at least 25 hours of volunteer time and 12 hours of continuing education per year thereafter.
Want to volunteer with us, but can not commit to the Master Composter Training Course? Volunteer at our Community Composting Demonstration Site!
The Compost Education Program offers volunteer opportunities to the community every 3rd Saturday of the month. If you are interested in visiting or volunteering at our Community Composting Demonstration Site at Martial Cottle Park, please let us know HERE
Someone from the Composting Education Program will contact you as soon as we are able to. A reminder will be sent out the week before with details of what is happening at the next workday.