4-H Partners with after school or summer programs to offer fun hands-on science activities for children.
Youth Experiences in Science (YES)
YES is led by teens in partnership with after school staff, who serve as trainers and facilitators for the activities, interacting with younger learners as they solve problems, record data, and make inferences in out-of-school setting. YES curriculum units include:
- Snail Trails: The Adventures of Helix Aspersa -- Children get to know some of the unique and interesting habits of land snails. Through observation and "snailing" activities, they are encouraged to ask questions and seek out answers.
- Magic Bubbles -- Bubbles provide a fun and interesting way for children to learn the processes of science. Hands-on experiences teach them to observe, communicate, compare, and organize information about bubbles.
- The Collection Connection -- As children develop and share collections, they use many of the same skills that scientists use everyday: observation, comparison, classification, and communication.
- Kitchen Science -- The kitchen is full of sensory experiences that encourage children to learn about scientific thinking processes in a fun, hands-on way.
- Wonderful Worms -- Worms provide a wonderful medium for applying science concepts and encouraging creative exploration in young children.
- Wee Cyclo-Saur-Us -- Activities in this unit help young children examine how to recycle and reuse products that are discarded daily. By charting their observations and keeping records, they learn about the effects of throwing things away.
- C.L.U.E. (Children Looking Undercover for Energy) -- Through their own actions, interpretations, and reactions to the activities in this unit, children build knowledge about different sources of energy.
To implement YES in your afterschool program contact Fe Moncloa, 4-H Youth Development Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or (408)282-3107.
Resources to implement Wonderful Worms
- 4H YES Adult Job description
- 4H YES Teen Job description
- Wonderful Worms Supply List
- Wonderful Worms Handouts
Computer Sciences (CS) Pathway Program
The goal of this program is to empower the next generation to succeed in any career field. Beyond the technical skills, learning CS builds skills in a wide range of important areas, including problem solving, digital fluency, and creativity.
To implement 4-H CS Pathway in your afterschool program contact Fe Moncloa, 4-H Youth Development Advisor at email@example.com or (408)282-3107.
Resources for Computer Science Pathways: