How to Volunteer
Make difference as a 4-H volunteer!
4-H youth are leaders. They pursue their passions. They are critical thinkers and solve problems. YOU are the key to their success! We need adult volunteers like you to mentor 4-H youth, lead local 4-H clubs, organize events, or teach fun science activities in after-school programs. No experience necessary - we'll train you. You must be at least 18 years old. 4-H chaperones must be 25 years old.
For more information about volunteering with 4-H in Santa Clara County, please contact the 4-H Region 7 Supervisor, Susan Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Do I Become an Adult 4-H Volunteer?
The 4-H program year runs annually from July 1 to June 30.
In order to provide a safe environment for youth, all prospective 4-H volunteers must:
- Complete an online Adult Enrollment Application which includes a code of conduct and confidential self-disclosure statement;
- Submit to and receive criminal record clearance from the California Department of Justice (DOJ) through Live Scan electronic fingerprinting; and
- Complete the New Adult Volunteer Courses offered online.
- All of the information for NEW and returning volunteers can be found in the How to Enrollment Guide.
- Editable Live Scan request.
In 4-H after-school clubs, volunteers partner with teens to train and teach hands-on science activities for one hour, once a week for 10 weeks.
In 4-H clubs, adult volunteers may take on the following positions
- Community Leader or Assistant Community Leader
- 4-H Project Leader or Assistant Project Leader
- Coordinator or Event Coordinator
In 4-H management, volunteers may serve in a variety of organizational roles.
The County Director for the University of California Cooperative Extension in Santa Clara County reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after all the application requirements and mandatory training is completed. (e.g. you are signed up in 4hOnline, your fingerprints have cleared the *live scan screening process, you have completed the Volunteer Training in eXtension). You will receive an email when your volunteer enrollment is approved.
*Live Scan Department of Justice clearance is required of any volunteer that is starting their first year of service or is returning after a break in 4-H volunteer service of a year or more.